Monday, September 22, 2014

Citrus Salt

I absolutely love spices even though I don't cook very much. I have even dedicated an entire cabinet to spices, vinegars and oils (and I probably need another!). This simple recipe is excellent on countless items - anything you would put salt and a touch of lemon on. Obvious items to sprinkle it on are fish and chicken, but use it on things like soups, dressings, margaritas, roasted veggies, you name it -- I have even used it on garlic bread!

What you'll need:
  • 2-3 lemons (I need a few more lemons!)
  • 2-3 limes
  • 2 oranges
  • 2 cups sea salt
Recipe:
  1. Wash the fruits and dry. Zest them completely. I like equal parts of all 3 fruits but if you want more lemon flavor, add more lemon or reduce the amount of zest from the lime and orange.
  2. Mix the zest with the 2 cups of sea salt and spread evenly over a baking sheet.
  3. In a pre-heated oven about 250 degrees, bake the mixture for a couple of hours to ensure the zest has completely dried.
  4. (optional) Pulse in a food processor or blender for even mixing and texture. This step ensures there are no clumps of zest or salt.
  5. Funnel the salt into a cute container, a mason jar, or in a salt dish (mine needs a refill!)
  6. Enjoy!
You could also try this with pepper but I have not tried it myself. If you have questions or comments please feel free to leave them below!


No comments:

Post a Comment