Monday, September 15, 2014

Mala and the Significance of Feldspar

Today I am receiving my first mala. A mala is also known as Hindu prayer beads, and is usually of a strand of 108 beads. There are variations in the way we use these malas across the world, but I believe what is best to keep in mind is what significance it has for you and why you are choosing to wear a mala.

How do you choose a mala? What is your intention with the #mala? What areas of life do you want to improve upon? What chakras are you trying to work on? Do you need grounding, lifting, joy, strength?

For me, I wanted to improve the creativity and inspiration aspects of my life, and I wanted a reminder of this on a daily basis by this and through my yoga practice. I chose a gray feldspar (plagioclase feldspar) dominant mala which is said to improve creativity and inspiration, reaching one's goals by new ways of thinking, and to help with finding lost things. Feldspar has a range of characteristics for healing such as feminine enhancing qualities, self respect and self awareness, and your ability to create a new life. Feldspar also enhances the alignment of all the chakras, supporting stability, courage, and insight.

The mala I chose also contains clear quartz, a stone said to enhance clarity. Also with turquoise, a stone for healing and protecting against negative energy. This lovely thing is adorned with a carved hsiu jade Buddha and a lovely burgundy tassel, to remind me of peace, discipline, and tranquility.

 I bought mine through Silver and Sage Jewelry (photo of mala to the right), which has a delightful range of malas and jewelry for both men and women. I had a hard time deciding because they are all so beautiful, but the intention of the mala is the most important - not the appearance of it.

If you are into making jewelry, I think it would be really wonderful if you created your own mala because it might create more significance for you. They make great gifts, too!

What stones have significance for you? How do you remind yourself each day of your goals and intentions?

No comments:

Post a Comment