Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Welcome to the Mountain Apothecary


My name is Jillian and I am a beginner in herbalism and natural sciences. A geologist by training, I know that all things that come out of the Earth have value and meaning, and can provide us with healing - whether that be medicinal, physical, or spiritual. The Earth is a unique place with organic and non-organic pieces that somehow fit and provide our home. I am currently exploring how to utilize my fascination for the properties that plants and minerals give us in our life. 

This blog is not going to teach you how to become an herbalist (because I am not one...yet), but it will teach you my trials and tribulations, trainings that I attend, highlight specific herbs and their uses,  certain minerals and their significance, and how to incorporate these natural ways of healing into your everyday life - at the office, at home, at the gym, in your backyard, and on travel. You don't need to be 'hippie' or a 'new age wacko'  in order to understand how you can improve your life naturally.
Right now, I have been toying with concocting a selection of potions, salves, cosmetics, lotions, hydrosols, scrubs, and other body nuturing items along with household crafts such as purifying beeswax candles made from local beeswax from sustainable hives. Eventually I am going to learn how to create textiles by spinning, dying and weaving. I will be taking my first sewing class come Monday, and my first herbalism class Thursday, so please join me on my journey to sustainable living!
My dad once had a stone that he rubbed thin because it relieved stress and helped him think (often referred to as a 'worry stone') - this stone had significance to him and he never went home without it. We can heal ourselves. We can educate ourselves through imagination and reflection or meditation.



Join me in blissful transformation away from our processed and synthetic world, and into the natural energy the Earth and the Self can provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment